What are the benefits of time spent outdoors?
Spending time outdoors can result in overall health and wellness benefits and have a positive impact on your day-to-day life. Studies also show time spent in the great outdoors helps boost your mood and reduces stress and anxiety.
Life is a big adventure
Now that Summer is finally here, it is a great time to go out and explore whilst soaking up some vitamin D from the sunshine. It is important to be prepared and plan ahead and we exist to give you control over what you eat and drink out of your home. We have been pioneering since 1904, and our quality, reusable, insulated solutions are guaranteed to keep your food and drinks hot or cold, enabling you to eat and hydrate when you want, wherever you want. So, whether you visit famous cities and destinations or forge your own new paths, make sure you plan your trip and have the right equipment and provisions.
You should also keep in mind your safety when spending time outdoors, such as applying sunscreen, staying hydrated and being mindful of weather conditions and potential hazards in your outdoor environment. If you are exploring somewhere new, do research beforehand and remember, It is important to stay nourished and hydrated when outdoors.
Hydration is always important and particularly so when you are spending time outdoors in the summer season. You can read about why hydration is important in our blog post here. Our water bottles are leak-proof and durable, making them perfect for drinks on the go. Choose between impact-resistant, dishwasher safe plastic for lightweight travelling hydration, or pack a vacuum insulated flask to keep drinks hot for 10 hours, or cold for 24, for delicious drinks while you explore the great outdoors. Check out our water bottle solutions where we also have The Rachel Ellen FUNtainer® bottle range which is a real hit with kids.
Food flasks are a great way to ensure you eat what you want, when you want, no matter where you are. With a Thermos® food flask you can say goodbye to boring sandwiches or soggy salads when spending time outdoors. From strawberries and ice cream to a crunchy chicken salad, it is amazing what hot or cold food you can actually put into these flasks and you can read more in our blog post for inspiration.
Key benefits of spending time outdoors
Here are some of the key advantages of spending time outdoors and why it is important for your health:
1. Physical health. Outdoor activities are a way to increase your fitness levels whilst allowing you to get some fresh air. From walking, wild swimming, fell running, hiking, cycling, football, tennis and many other outdoor sports, these can all improve cardiovascular health, increase muscle strength, enhance flexibility and help you to maintain a healthy weight. Having exposure to fresh air can help improve lung health, boost the immune system and provide a sense of vitality. Taking part in outdoor sports can often feel less like hard work as you are often socialising with friends and view it as a hobby. Overall spending more time outdoors helps level cortisol levels, reducing muscle tension and decreasing heart rate, which all help reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.
2. Vitamin D. Sunlight exposure stimulates the production of vitamin D in our body. Vitamin D is important for bone health by helping to regulate calcium, Supporting the immune system and overall, contributes to your overall health and mental well-being. A lack of Vitamin D can lead to bone deformities and bone pain caused by a condition called osteomalacia. It is recommended to take a vitamin D supplement during winter.
3. Reduce stress. Being outdoors typically has a calming effect on your mind and body. Spending an increased amount of time outdoors can help reduce stress, anxiety and overall improve your mood. Studies have shown spending time outdoors can lower your stress hormone, cortisol and help to reduce your heartbeat, overall decreasing stress levels. If you are someone who often finds yourself becoming overwhelmed, think about going for a nice walk in a nice calming environment with a cup of tea using one of our Thermos flasks.
4. Cognitive function & mental clarity. Spending more time outdoors can help to enhance mental clarity, concentration and overall cognitive function. With technology usage being on a rapid increase, spending time away from screens, artificial lighting, technology and breaking your same routines, will allow your brain time to recharge and become refreshed.
5. Improved sleep. Having an increased exposure to natural light can help your body regulate its internal clock, aiding a better night's sleep. Spending time outdoors will help your body synchronise your sleep-wake cycle, leading to a more restful and refreshing night's sleep. Improving your body's circadian rhythms will allow you to sleep more peacefully at night. Having a good night's sleep will often lead to an improved state of mind.
6. Enhanced creativity. Being outside can help to stimulate creativity. Often a change of scenery can help to inspire new ideas, promote innovative thinking and help with problem-solving abilities. If you are someone who has a lot on their mind a calming walk can help turn your thoughts into something more productive and help rationalise your thoughts.
Owning a THERMOS® product means you're in control of your day allowing you the freedom to go your way and enjoy the great outdoors. Let’s keep pioneering together.