I’m Issy, I love getting outdoors with my Labrador Nevis. I really enjoy hiking or a gentle woodland walk, and I’m slowly returning to running. My favourite thing to do though is outdoor swimming whether that’s training for a long OW swim or wild dipping. My favourite time to swim is coming up and I’m excited for those tingly cold temperatures and a post swim cuppa, flask of soup and slice of cake.See method...
- Cheese scones:
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees. Grease a baking tray
- Mix flour and seasonings, rub in margarine. Stir in cheese, reserving a little for the top.
- Mix to a soft dough with the egg and milk, reserving a little for glazing
- Roll out to a round 1.5cm in thickness and cut into 8 triangles
- Place on a baking tray and brush with egg and milk and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until golden.
- Leak & potato soup:
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the leeks and potatoes.
- Cook for a few minutes, until the butter has been absorbed and the vegetables have softened.
- Pour in the stock and milk and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes until potatoes and leeks are tender.
- Draw the pan off the heat and use a stick blender to blend the soup until it is silky smooth. Stir in the cream and season well with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into Thermos Flask and garnish with fresh herbs.
- 175 grams Self raising flour
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1 x 2.5ml spoon mustard powder
- 25g margarine
- 75g grated cheese
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 50g butter
- 4 leeks, white only
- sliced 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 400ml milk
- A good slug of double/heavy cream
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- Small handful of fresh chopped parsley and chives to garnish