There are three things in life I couldn’t live without; my slow-cooker, my Thermos and my hikes. This recipe utilises all three. I always prep it the night before and then transfer it to my Thermos before I head out for the day – not forgetting to pop in a couple of rotis. The circular walk to the top of Pen-y-Ghent from Horton-in-Ribblesdale is one of my favourite walks in the UK, and this dahl makes the view from the top all the more satisfying. Healthy, hearty and filling, you’ll be all fuelled up for the descent, which believe me, you’ll need.See method...
- Put the lentils, sweet potatoes, turmeric and ginger into the slow cooker and add 1 L of water.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until the lentils are pulpy.
- Stir in the remaining spices, replace the lid and cook for another hour.
- Stir in the spinach, tomatoes, coriander and season to taste.
- Add a bit of lemon for an extra zing.
- 400g dried red lentils
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cut into small chunks
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Large bag baby spinach
- 4 tomatoes diced
- Fresh coriander
- Juice of a quarter of a lemon (optional)
So satisfying!I'd eat this any time of the day, it really was satisfying. Thanks Dimitri!
DeliciousThank you Dimitri, my family loved this.
Loved itI cooked this for my wife last night and we both loved it - we could eat this all day every day! Definitely one for our next adventure day in our flasks. Thank you!