Growing up in the Middle East has allowed me to appreciate different spices and dishes from a young age. Shakshuka is one of my favourite dishes as it's so simple, versatile and perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. To make the dish vegan, remove the eggs and replace with falafel or guacamole.
Follow Ciara: @yorkshirefoodgirlSee method...
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan).
- In a frying pan, add the oil, red onion and pepper.
- Fry for 2 minutes, add the garlic and fry on a low heat for another 2 minutes.
- Add fennel seeds, cumin seeds, paprika and cayenne pepper to the frying pan and mix everything together.
- Add chopped tomatoes and simmer everything on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and sugar to balance the tartness of the chopped tomatoes.
- Decant into a small oven dish, making two small wells for the eggs.
- Crack one egg in each well, cover the dish with tin foil and transfer into the oven.
- Cook for 10 minutes checking regularly. When the egg whites look cooked, remove from the oven.
- Add black pepper and coriander to garnish.
- Serve with your choice of bread.
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1tbsp oil
- 2 eggs
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1/4tsb fennel seeds
- 1/4tsb cumin seeds
- 1/2tsb paprika
- 1/3tsb cayenne pepper (optional)
- Coriander (to garnish)
- 1/2tsb caster sugar
- Salt & black pepper